"I am the stone that the builder refused
I am the visual, the inspiration
That made Lady Sing the Blues...
I'm the spark that makes your idea bright
The same spark that lights the dark
So that you can know your left from your right...
I am the ballot in the box, the bullet in the gun
The innerglow that lets you know
To call your brother sun...
The story that just begun
The promise of what's to come
And I'm a remain a soldier 'til the war is won
This t.v. show Boondocks has me thinkin' a lot about race, I just finished reading, New England White, a murder intrigue mystery written by the famous law prof. Stephen Carter. In it there's talk of good black and bad, the one's who can succeed and those who for whatever reason remain a disgrace to the race. I've never been one to really delve into my thoughts about my people. Other than the elusive by semi-present thought that what I do in life, daily and overall will always be seen as a testament or detriment to what my people can accomplish. Watching this show which throws the word nigger around like nothing, referring to all and some of the darker nation has me thinking, how much do I/should I spend thinking about helping out my people. I mean I'm here in China, learning a language that has no connection to my roots, planning on pursuing a career that is widely seen as second nature to black people and I'm not really sure where I'm going with this but it's interesting.
Anyways, I'll have to think more about what I'm trying to say. till then enjoy the words
No comments:
Post a Comment